ReSiDeNt BlOg

Monday, February 25, 2008

Residency progress

Hi all. A quick update.

Our piece starting coming together last week. Ellen and I worked out the major pieces at the lemurplex and have been refining our respective parts.

The nice lemurs made me a big ultimate stand for my marimba, which proved important, as Ellen decided to choreograph a large amount of the piece *under* my marimba. I will be playing the xylobot a good amount, and I have been working on figuring out how to make the best use of its unstoppable robotic clangyness. This has included figuring out which notes/bars I thought had the sweetest harmonics, what types of arpeggios seem to work best, and various treatments with body, microphones, and amplification.

We are also using the midi wind chimes to trigger the mod bots, which is ridiculously fun.

I finally got around to getting the musical parts down on paper, and it looks like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiresounds/2293475566/

If you haven't listened to Taylor's Gamelan piece above, DO IT! It was super hot.

-Max

No comments: